Community

WINFIELD BLUEGRASS PART TWO: FRIENDS, OLD AND NEW

Dear Readers, Last week, in Part One of Three about my recent Winfield Bluegrass experiences, I chronicled how it was impossible to be anything other than happy camper. Even if camping hadn’t been such a cinch, I like to think I would have maintained a cheery disposition. Luckily for me and for my friends old and new, we never had to find if that were truly the case. Happy campers all, my pals and I had a ball.
Read More

Olathe Naval Air Station celebrates

80 The Commemorative Air Force-Heart of America Wing celebrated the 80 th Anniversary of the Olathe Naval Air Station and the 55th Anniversary of the Johnson County Airport Commission on Saturday, October 1st from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Read More

Winfield bluegrass part one: happy camper

Dear Readers, Official ticket sale numbers have not been released for last week’s Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, KS. I attended Bluegrass throughout my college years but always returned to my dorm at night.
Read More

Lewis Farms opens for fall season

Lewis said the “warty” ones are a variety known as Grizzly variety, and take photos. Lewis said they had sold 290 plus mums through a fundraiser with the Lions Club.
Read More

New Stepping Stone Animal Hospital opens

Stepping StoneAnimal Hospital, a locally owned general practice, opened its doors for business on September 1, 2022. The hospital will service companion animals with services ranging from general exams and vaccines to specialty surgeries or consultations. Dr. Sara Smith is the owner/veterinarian and has been a veterinarian for the community since 2015. As the only locally owned animal hospital in Gardner, Stepping Stone hopes to be involved with several community outreach programs. It is located at 971 E Lincoln lane ( behind Joy closet). Daily hours are M-F 7:00 to 5:30 pm. To learn more about the hospital, please contact them at staff@steppingstoneah.com or drop by for a visit.
Read More

Robert Cook Car, Bike Show returns

The 3rd annual car and bike show will be held Sept 24, 2022 The location is the GEHS located at 425 N Waverly road. Time Noon to 3pm. Rain date Sept 25th Robert Cook was a local business person. He ran his auto repair business R & J Automotive for over 20 years here in Gardner. Robert was a graduate of the 1972 class of Gardner High School. He built and drove racecars, motorcycles and enjoyed working on almost anything with an engine. After his passing in 2019, A group of his friends decided the best way to honor his memory was to start a scholarship in his name. The Robert Cook Vo-Tech scholarship fund was formed. It gives the opportunity to students every year who choose careers outside of a traditional college. In the past three years awards of scholarships have been given to eight students who went on to attend welding academy, auto technician school, diesel technician school, etc. This year scholarship awards include two females.
Read More